There are two options when adding a new item to your Papertrail account: creating a record manually or importing the details directly from our PPE Directory.
Step by Step
Once you have logged in, click on the folder you would like to add a record to from the left-hand side. Once there, click New record.
A box like this will appear:
To add a record, fill out the following fields:
- RECORD NAME - this could be a piece of equipment (e.g. "harness"), facility check (e.g. fire extinguisher #01) or anything else you want to keep track of in your account
- INSPECTION FREQUENCY - decide how often you want to review, inspect or update this record (Papertrail can remind you when it is due)
- INITIAL STATE - the current condition of the equipment you are adding. Checked - Good is default
Once you have completed these stages, click Create.
The record details window that appears allows you to enter as much specific information as you like. Papertrail is a multi-layered equipment management database - all your information about the item is stored in one place for easy referral.
Some of the fields available are:
- Identifier - use this field to add a unique identifier for this particular record, for example a number or marking
- Serial Number, Make, Model - these are all optional fields but may be required for equipment
- Date of Manufacture - date of manufacture of the piece of equipment
- Date for Retirement - shelf life of the equipment - this will generate a notification to remind you to retire the item as this date gets closer
- Purchase Date - date you bought the item
- First Inspection Due - if you already have a scheduled inspection date
- Supplier - who you purchased the equipment from
Purchase Price - how much it cost you - will assist you in forecasting how much it will cost to replace it
The UPLOADS section will allow you to add photos or paperwork associated with that item, e.g. manufacturer guidelines. Click on the grey + box to upload a file from your computer, or drag and drop a file over it.
You can also use the comments section to make notes. For example, you might want to add specific instructions for the rest of your team, telling them what might be required for the inspection or review.
When you have finished adding the information just close the record, no need to hit save.
You can also import a record using our PPE directory which features manufacturers including; Teufelberger, Singing Rock, DMM, Petzl and Palm (see related articles below).
See related articles:
- Importing products to Papertrail from the PPE Directory
- Upload your existing records to Papertrail from a spreadsheet
- Can I have a custom state or frequency?
Still can't find the answer you need? We'd love to help!
Contact our Customer Support Team via the chat button in the lower right corner of the screen, on +44 (0)1248 791270 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.